Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Electric Cloud

I have been suffering from serious anxiety in the past two weeks, and my husband reminded me of something. It was about two years ago, after returning by train from another vacation that I had the episode of major depression that landed me in the hospital. Perhaps my mind is reliving it.

The anxiety has been non-specific - no real source. Just a constant electric cloud hovering around me all day - threatening to zap me at any moment. I feel like running away, but there's no place to go to escape!

What did I learn in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) at the hospital? I should probably pull out my WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) and apply some of the symptom management techniques, such as:

Shade and Bella

  • Sleeping 8 hours (and only 8 hours) tonight
  • Limiting caffeine (uh-oh...)
  • Eating lean protein / complex carbohydrate balanced meals
  • Drinking half my body weight in ounces of water
  • Taking a walk in this gorgeous weather
  • Talking to one of my support partners (e.g., my husband)
  • Blogging my thoughts out (Done!)
  • Praying / meditating
  • Spending time with my pets
Okay, that sounds like a plan. Let's see if it works!

No comments: