Friday, June 26, 2020

Change Starts with Me

Long time, no write, I know...I know; so I thought I'd pop on for a quick update. 

Reno, Nevada, January 2020
2020 has indeed been an unusual year thus far. As tumultuous as it has been though, I think I'm actually hopeful that, as my former boss put it, "2020 will be the year of perfect vision!" 

Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic and social justice demonstrations around the country and world, my family has been in a huge state of transition as well. We just sold the house in which we've lived and raised our children for the past 21 years, and are now preparing to move all the way across the country in a week and a half. 

This upcoming relocation, coupled with spending the past few months hunkered down in quarantine, avidly following the Black Lives Matter movement, has been the catalyst for self-reflection on a very profound level.

Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park, Jan. 2020
Launched from my own recovery, Pink Hi-Top Adventures has been my ongoing tool for healing which I hoped might also help (or at least entertain) others along the way. But deeply reflecting on social justice and how I may have at times complacently accepted "the unfortunate way things are", has been energizing. I want my life, my actions, and my words to reflect that which I claim to espouse. So, as one chapter closes and another begins, I think it is a good time to revisit Pink Hi-Top Adventures. What precisely that means, I don't know yet, but I do know that I want to focus more on the "Adventures" part of wellness, living my values, social justice in mental health, and lifting others up with me along the way. 

Oh, also, I've been working on putting Pink Hi-Top Adventures on a site of its own; but this, dear friends, is a slow process, I'm afraid. I find it much easier to write than to set up a website, but stay tuned!!

No comments: