Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Overcoming...inertia!

In the past week, I seem to have lost direction, and I have been struggling to stay on top of things. After suffering the major depression of last fall, and then experiencing a resurrection of my true self in the past few months, I now hyper-analyze every dip in the road, for fear it is the dragon coming up from the vortex to consume me. What I seem to have forgotten is that "normal" people struggle with everyday things too. 

As you may already know from previous posts, I returned to college this semester; and I started out with a bang, feeling empowered and doing very well. But now, I find myself mid-semester and a little behind {also a "normal" thing, or so my husband reassures me}. In the past, anxiety and negative thoughts would feed on this, deride me for getting behind, and convince me that no matter what I did, I'd be humiliated and shamed.

Today, I'm going to try something new. Even though I am behind, I will not run from it - I will face it head on {and yes, it still scares the bajeebies out of me!} I will not skip class because I am afraid of what others are thinking, I will study what I can today, and see where it takes me.

Dear reader,

Please don't let me do this alone. Is there something you have been putting off that you know would be good for you, good for your personal growth? Is it something that scares you a little, but you know if you did it you'd feel better about yourself, stronger, more confident? Then do it! And if you're feeling particularly bold, please do share with us in the comments!  ;)









1 comment:

Greg Guevara said...

I've been putting off setting personal "stretch goals" in terms of my career, aiming instead to find a cushy comfort zone where I can just sort of coast. But deep down I know that is where stagnation lies. So, scary as it may be, I am beginning to push myself to contemplate next steps for career growth, and test the waters where new opportunities may abound. I dipped another toe in the water today... we'll see where it may lead!