Friday, June 7, 2013

Taking Down the Wall

The first Atlantic tropical storm of the season (Andrea) is here and I am feeling as soggy and grey as it is outside. I often wonder if barometric pressure has any effect on mood? Now that would make an interesting research paper!

As I look around the room right now, I am surrounded by clutter and mess.
It has built up like a wall around my psyche. Inability to take care of one's basic needs (e.g. housekeeping) is a hallmark symptom of depression. Taking down the wall is one of the necessary steps to take toward wellness; and this is my goal of the day.

But it feels overwhelming. How am I going to tackle all the mess!?

First of all, I'm not going to tackle all the mess. I am going to set a realistic goal for myself: the kitchen.

Second, this realistic goal is going to be achieved in micro-steps. Years ago, to get my kids involved in clean-up, I came up with the "clean-up game". I listed tiny, little mini-tasks (e.g., pick up books on floor, bring laundry downstairs) on pieces of paper, folded them up, and put them in a bowl. Like a raffle, each child  drew a piece of paper from the bowl and did that task. At the end of the designated time, or when all the papers were gone, the child with the most pieces of paper got to select desert for the evening. I am going to put my own micro-steps on paper and play the clean-up game.

Finally, I am going to savor the feeling of a clean, functional kitchen. Oh yeah, and instead of desert, I am going to reward myself with Starbucks! 

No comments: