Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back to School!

Well, I'm back in the saddle again! 

The fall semester has started up at school, and I'm excited to be back. I'm taking Life Span and Human Development I, Substance Abuse I, Group Dynamics I, and math. 

There are two personality traits, however, that could stop me up if I don't keep them in check: procrastination and perfectionism. (I know I'm not alone in this!) 

Sometimes I procrastinate because of perfectionism. I wait for conditions to be perfect before beginning a project. Or, I procrastinate because of the effort I know that is required - especially for perfection. 

With perfectionism, it's either perfect or nothing. (Addicts are good at all-or-nothing thinking!) I know this is a contradiction, but my house, for example, is either OCD-clean or total chaos. I clean to perfection then (naturally) things fall short of it.  

When these two traits have stopped me up in the past, I've had nowhere else to turn but the pseudo-comfort of the Vortex. 


This time I have a plan in place for progress, not perfection:

  1. Check deadlines at the beginning of the semester.
  2. Make a realistic plan to meet the deadlines.
  3. Set up an accountability plan for myself with my advisor for a regular check-in.
  4. Then, ACT! Make steady, daily progress toward the goal(s)/project deadlines.
  5. Keep on doing the things that are necessary to stave off depression and anxiety (medication, physical fitness, sleep, relaxation, blogging, etc.)


No comments: