I was doing so well, and then suddenly, depression crept back over me like a spider, draining me of energy, wrapping me in grey strands of hopelessness.
I can't say I'm doing well now, just doing better.
I don't understand it. I don't understand why it comes back. I'm on medication, isn't that supposed to be the cure-all?
"No", my therapist and my husband are both saying as they read this.
No, it isn't a cure-all - just a booster to enable me to do the things I need to do to stay well...the things that I haven't been doing:
- exercise 4 - 5 times per week: aerobic, strength training, stretching, but especially aerobic;
- consistent, healthy nutrition, metered out throughout the day in about five mini-meals that are protein/carb balanced and bolstered with veggies, fruits, lean proteins, and healthy fats;
- 8 hours sleep each night - going to bed at the same time and waking at the same time each day;
- prayer / meditation / gratitude daily;
- making and keeping commitments to myself and others;
- blogging - an outlet and hobby which I enjoy;
- and last, but not least, taking medication when it is due and not missing doses! (Yes, I've missed at least three doses in the past two weeks...)
These are my goals for the week then. I've got to get my self back!