Monday, October 28, 2013

Symptoms of Depression

So, what is it like when I'm depressed? Here are the symptoms of my depression:
  • Emotions: I usually don't cry; rather, I often find myself angry at the least provocation. Little things annoy me - society annoys me. Then, in time, I go numb - my emotions are depressed - suppressed, repressed, unexpressed. 
  • Cognition: Obviously my thoughts turn negative - especially thoughts about me and the future. These negative thoughts cycle in my head over and over and over, drilling down into my psyche. I also have more trouble than usual in remembering things. 
  • Behavior: I stay in the house as much as possible - in bed as much as possible - often watching reruns on TV.
  • Social: I isolate as much as possible. It is not a conscious thing, I just go into my cave like a hibernating bear. I avoid answering the phone, stop checking email, stop checking Facebook, and yes, even stop blogging!
  • Hobbies: I am no longer interested in things that previously interested me. 
  • Sleep: I sleep more than usual. Possibly as much as 12 - 15 hours a day. If that's not feasible, I walk around drained and exhausted in a fog. 
  • Food: I eat more sweets; and then, when fully depressed, I eat practically nothing. 
  • Grooming: I don't shower...for days. I don't care how I look and the very thought of having to go through the entire process of showering seems to me like having to run a marathon.
Though everyone is different, many other people report similar symptoms. If you or anyone you love show any of the above symptoms (or cries easily, sleeps less, or eats more), it could be depression - please seek help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information about depression, see:


No comments: