Friday, January 24, 2014

Tweakin' the Meds Again

So I had another appointment with my psychiatrist today. The current meds - and perhaps one in particular (Lamictal) - seem to be working. My only complaint has been this enormous weight gain that I have experienced in the past year. No, I am not working out and eating well. Yes, I am 47. BUT...the rate of gain is far greater than any I have ever experienced (40 lbs in one year!) and I shared this with my doctor. He thinks it could be the Abilify, so he is now going to taper me off of that and increase the Lamictal

As they say, psychiatry is as much an art as it is a science. It's not unlike cooking - add a little of this, a little of that - a dash of this, a dash of that. If it's no good, lower or eliminate something, add a little something else...always tweaking. 

Weight gain aside, I am feeling better than I ever have been. Not manic, crazy good, but...normal, functioning good...and that makes me happy.




No comments: