Sunday, July 7, 2013

Back to Basics

Depression is seeping back into my pores like a slow moving fog. My thinking is becoming more negative, I am irritable, and I don't feel like doing anything about it. 

I do know why, though. This past week, family came into town for a 4th of July reunion. No, my family didn't cause the depression {necessarily ;) }; rather, I threw caution to the wind and neglected self-care. I ate what I wanted, stayed up to all hours of the night, drank waaay too much caffeine and not enough water, and now I am paying the price.

I seem to think that I can take a break from a healthy lifestyle the way most people can. Depression however, like diabetes and heart disease, is a physical illness that requires daily attention to lifestyle; and failure to do so, will manifest symptoms of the disease.

Therefore, my goal for the day is to at least get back to the basics (see the 4/26/13 post, Wellness Part I: Physical):
  1. (8) glasses of water
  2. Exercise - ride bike with husband and daughter
  3. Eat (5) small meals - protein / carb balanced
  4. Bed by 10:30 PM
I'll keep you posted.




No comments: