Saturday, October 25, 2014

Dressin' My Way Up

I have A LOT of studying to do this weekend. Got a little {actually waaaay} behind after being under the weather this week.


And when I woke up this morning, I could feel the grey shadow of depression creeping over me, and once again, I almost caved in. Then I remembered my KWRAP {Karen's Wellness Recovery Action Plan} - a toolbox of recovery maintenance techniques.

Yes, I had to do the cliche, cheesy selfie...
One of my tools to stave off depression is to "dress up". This entails taking a shower, getting dresssed, doing my hair, and putting on a little make-up. Now, I'm not suggesting that we need to get all dolled up every time we make a public appearance. It's just that self-care is one of the things that goes out the window with depression. Sometimes forcing oneself to take a shower, getting out of pajamas or sweats, and prettying up a bit can go a long way toward a better outlook.

This is what I did this morning. Hadn't showered in about four days {sorry, I know...}, but I reluctantly got myself into the shower, put on an outside-of-the-home outfit and a little make-up, and now I'm feeling more ready to tackle the day.

No comments: