Wednesday, April 22, 2020

[Post 4 of 10]

Album 4: AC/DC's Back in Black


Atlantic Records, 1980

The album opens with a lone church bell: DONGGG - DONGGG - DONGGG - DONGGG...

           then a guitar from the right...

                      ...and soon rhythm guitar, drums on the left...

This was not just music that differed from that of grown ups or music that spoke to the quirky "Me". This album was an inside secret with my brothers, featuring lyrics I knew I should probably keep on the down-low in the presence of grown ups. This was naughty!

From Hells Bells to Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution it wasn't just the forbidden lyrics, though, that spoke to me. It was those guitars rushing back and forth, right to left through headphones, Brian Johnson screeching out the lyrics, and drums like canon blasts - and, of course Angus Young's guitar solos. (Who doesn't love a grown man playing lead guitar in schoolboy nickers, jacket, and tie!) This was music that penetrated every fiber of my body - the louder the better. [Note to the Parents Music Resource Center: I am happy to report, I did not once then, or at anytime since, worship Satan or any of his minions.]

Though admittedly I am no expert in the psychological influence of music on the developing minds of adolescents and children, it didn't seem to have any kind of negative effect on the overall trajectory of my soul. In fact, it was at times a cathartic way of expressing my teen angst and age-appropriate rebellion against authority as I stretched my bat wings. 

On the other hand, as I stated in my previous posts, music did play a big role in my emerging self-identify. Actually, my favorite guitar solo and song crescendo of the album can be found in the song Have a Drink on Me, blasting in my headphones now as I write. I became an alcoholic. So, did this song, album, or the band itself cause that? I don't think so...at least, I'm pretty sure not. 

Humans are very complex beings. Who can say of all the tiles that go into our self mosaic which will be the piece to tip the table? I don't know. One thing I do know for sure, however, is that every child deserves the basics: safety, security, and the nurturing of their bodies, minds, and spirits. And if they do not naturally receive this in their own family/home setting, they deserve a community that will embrace them and be there to help at any point along the way. (A whole other blog post for the future...) This, more than anything, will determine the adults they eventually become. 

No comments: