Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Let Go, Let God"


"How can you say to your brother, '...let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice 
the wooden beam in you own eye?" 
- Jesus of Nazareth, Luke 6:42

------------------------------------------------------------

The above verse is about hypocracy, and it is also about control. I know that investing all my energy on the splinter in my brother's eye is ineffective, but when you love someone it is so hard not to obsess on the loved one's problems. I struggle with this a lot lately. It is very hard to let go when you love someone - when you know the bridge ahead is out, and you see the train roaring down the track headed straight for it. 

But truth be told, letting go is where God / the universe operates. Alcoholics Anonymous has a saying for this, "Let Go, Let God." 

This is my focus for the week: to invest my time and energy on the things I can control, and to let go of the need to control outcomes and the desire to control others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear, God:

Please help me focus my efforts on my own "beam" today; and while I'm doing it, please help those I love with their problems. Use me if you need me, but help me let it go if you don't.

Love, Karen



No comments: